Wednesday, October 1, 2008

pumpkin cookies


When I was a freshman in college I received a care package. It was from my friend's mom and inside were these cookies. I didn't think they would taste as good as they do. They are the best pumpkin cookies I have ever had and yesterday I broke down and made some. It was the first day that was actually crisp. So these are a great start to an entire season of baking.

Pumpkin Cookies - from Helena Woidka
2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in bowl and set aside. In a large bowl cream together:
1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. canned pumpkin

Add 1 egg, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Add flour mixture.

Drop on a greased sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Glaze:
Heat to boiling and boil 2 minutes -
3 Tbs. butter
4 Tbs. milk
1/2 c. brown sugar

Stir constantly.

Cool and add 1/2 cup powder sugar and 3/4 tsp. vanilla. Glaze cookies

Makes 2 dozen.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Can't wait to make my own...thanks for sharing!

Jennie said...

Ooo these sound yummy! Think I could use butter instead of shortening?

Love your blog. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

LunaMoonbeam said...

I'll have to put these up against the cookies I make every year. Thankis!!

Kristin said...

I can't wait to make them! They sound dreamy!!!!!