Friday, April 17, 2009

florida apron



I am gearing up for the all my family (sisters, sister in laws, brothers, parents etc.) birthdays in May and June.   I came from a family of eight where everyone's birthdays were in April, May, and June except for me and my brother.  Then, I married in to a family with the exact same situation.  My husband and I get old every year in December while the rest of our family members  do that in the spring and summer.  So, it's like gearing up for Christmas, I am trying to get some things made and sewn early.  I found this Florida fabric and knew I would make something for my sister in law in Miami with it.  I started out making a tote bag, but then last night as I went to cut it out, I thought it needed to be an apron.  I took my favorite apron (the emmeline apron my mom made me) and made a pattern based on that shape.  I didn't have the guts to follow the true emmeline apron directions and make bias tape and pleats that it calls for.  Someday.   I have some sewing fears that I need to get over and hand sewing bias tape (especially making my own) on something is one of them.  

The apron is reverseable with the Floirda fabric on one side and navy gingham on the other.  I liked how it turned out, but I need to fine tune the pattern a bit for the next apron I make.  

10 comments:

dana said...

Cute! Great idea. I love when you just don't feel right about something and then it morphs into the perfect thing. Love it!

EveryGoodGift said...

I LOVE the apron! Anyone would be thrilled to recieve such a thoughtful gift. Great job! :o)

Bianca said...

Turned out really nice! I have the emmeline apron pattern and I don't hand sew bias tape. I just machine sew it and I think it turns out just fine. Plus, for an apron that's being used and washed (a lot, hopefully) it will hold up better machine stitched than hand stitched. I have made two this way, and gifted both of them. I have yet to make one for myself. The only thing I don't like about the pattern is how much fabric it needs!!

Shannon said...

It looks great! I love the material and the fact that it's reversible!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Love the apron! The Florida fabric looks so retro, and I love that look. Jackie

~jen said...

you could sooo make the gathers on the emmeline apron...and I echo the machine stitching of the bias tape. Make it easier on yourself. You are so thoughtful to make something for EVERYONE in your family for birthdays. Did I ever mention how much like sisters we are? ;)

Marjorie said...

Cute apron! What a great gift!

Bobi... said...

Very Cute and sassy!

Julie said...

You did a great job, honey. You really could make the Emeline-when you get the courage!

Tania said...

I can't believe you have a bias tape fear! I think you could pretty confidently get over that one. I have only just bumped into your blog and thoroughly enjoyed pootling around - your stuff is lovely. Please take it from the almost-beginner who CAN do the bias tape thing - you''ll find it a walk in the park!