I saw this fantastic shirt in Domino magazine and ripped it out intending to try to make something like it with or without a pattern. Finally yesterday I attempted it without an exact pattern, so I pulled out the most similar pattern I had - this Built By Wendy- that I tried a few times last summer. The shirt I made is out of black and white striped shirting fabric. I think this shirt has potential. I am trying to figure out how to make it what I want. I wore it today and I think I like it enough to wear it, but I am always a bit self conscious wearing something I have made. So, it might be back to the drawing board to see what else I can come up with.
Here's what I did -
- widened the shirt half way to the bottom
- enlarged and lengthened the sleeves
- took out the back seam and cut it on the fold instead
- lowered the neckline - oh la la
- added elastic to the waistband
Here's what I want to change or am unsure about-
- more flow to the sleeves and maybe a bit longer - not quite as much as the one in the Domino mag photo though
- not sure I like the elastic in the bottom of the waistband. don't want to be bunchy in the waist!
So please let me know of any ideas or suggestions you might have. It might just be that I need to buy a pattern a bit more similar to the top, but I just get over excited that I can do it without and when I don't get the results I want, I get a bit (just a bit) frustrated!